There’s no doubt that there’s a growing need and reliance on data science in the financial services industry and as a result the role of data scientists within financial firms is becoming increasingly important. Of course, the definition of a data scientist and what this role typically encompasses in financial institutions varies greatly, and in light of this new trend, and in this podcast, we are speaking to John Houston, Principal within Deloitte Consulting and Lead for the Advanced Analytics and Predictive Modeling Practice, to learn a little bit more about data scientists and their role in financial services.
In this podcast, we explore the following questions:
- What is a data scientist? What does the role commonly cover?
- Why are a growing number of financial institutions looking to hire data scientists? What are the driving factors behind this change?
- Where do data scientists typically sit within a firm (which department)?
- Are can the skills of data scientists help financial institutions either evolve as needed today or achieve a competitive advantage?
- How the role of data scientist evolving in the coming two years?
See the full transcript below.