The International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (ISDA) today announced the publication of a whitepaper, “OTC Commodity Derivatives Trade Processing Lifecycle Events.”
The paper analyzes existing and potential opportunities for further standardization in the OTC commodity derivatives markets in order to drive improvements in operational efficiency, reduce operational risk, and increase netting and clearing for appropriate products. It also provides a summary of OTC commodity derivatives markets’ trade processing lifecycle events and an overview of the current industry state of processing.
“OTC commodity derivatives have been in existence for centuries, far longer than some of the other OTC derivative asset classes,” said Julian Day, head of Market Infrastructure, ISDA. “The vast majority of OTC commodity derivatives products have become standardized over time and additional standardization has occurred with a specific focus on electronic confirmation, lifecycle event processing and clearing. The whitepaper further clarifies and increases transparency of the operational best practices for OTC commodity derivatives.”
OTC commodity derivatives are transparent (pre and post-trade), with a significant proportion of transactions centrally cleared, electronically confirmed and bilaterally collateralized. Across the OTC commodity derivatives markets, the vast majority of all contracts are confirmed electronically via confirmation matching platforms. To date, more than 85 percent of eligible inter-Commodities Major Dealers (CMD) metals trades and 90 percent of energy trades are actually confirmed electronically. There is no material backlog of unexecuted confirmations.
The paper outlines three areas for potential improvement:
- Lifecycle processes;
- OTC settlement processes;
- and Settlement matching processes
The whitepaper is available in the ISDA website’s Research section under Studies:
You Might Also Like...
- CME Group Announces Launch of S&P 500 Total Return Index Futures and S&P 500 Carry Adjusted Total Return Index Futures
- BNY Mellon's Hani Kablawi Named New Head of Investment Services for EMEA
- Tower Trading Group Selects Ancoa Market Surveillance Platform to Monitor Multi-asset Trading Activities
- ISDA Americas Credit Derivatives Determinations Committee: Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Failure to Pay Credit Event