Singapore Exchange (SGX) said derivatives and commodities activity rose while securities trading fell in October from a year earlier.
- Turnover fell 38% year on year to $28 billion as global uncertainties continued to curb investor appetite. Securities daily average value was $1.4 billion, down 35% from a year earlier.
- ETF turnover fell 42% to $557 million but structured warrants trading rose 61% to $812 million.
- Total volume increased 11% year on year to 5.9 million contracts; derivatives daily average volume was 304,088 contracts, up 17%.
- Nifty futures volume was 19% higher from a year earlier at 1.2 million contracts. MSCI Singapore futures volume was 30% up at 412,671 contracts. China A50 futures trading more than doubled year on year to 305,667 contracts.
Commodities and Clearing
- Commodity futures volume increased 2% year on year to 21,906 contracts.
- Volume of OTC commodity contracts cleared rose 45% from a year earlier to 26,037 contracts; volume of Iron Ore Swaps cleared totalled 15,380 contracts, five times that of a year earlier.
- Clearing of OTC Interest Rate Swaps continued to grow with a notional $11.4 billion cleared in October, bringing the cumulative amount cleared since launch to $180 billion notional.