The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision issued today a consultative paper on The internal audit function in banks.
The objective of the proposed guidance, which revises the Committee's 2001 document Internal Audit in Banks and the Supervisor's Relationship with Auditors, is to help supervisors assess the effectiveness of a bank's internal audit function. The guidance reflects developments in supervisory and banking practices and incorporates lessons drawn from the financial crisis.
The proposed guidance is built around a set of principles that seek to promote a strong internal audit function within banks. The principles cover supervisory expectations related to the internal audit function as well as the supervisory assessment of that function. The principles also review the relationship between a supervisory authority and a bank's internal audit function.
The Basel Committee welcomes comments on the proposed consultative documents. Comments should be submitted by Friday, 2 March 2012 by email to: email@example.com. Alternatively, comments may be sent by post to the Secretariat of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, Bank for International Settlements, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland. All comments may be published on the Bank for International Settlements's website unless a commenter specifically requests confidential treatment.
The Committee is now in the process of developing supervisory guidance on external audit. This guidance will build on existing Basel Committee guidance on this topic, including The relationship between bank supervisors and external auditors (2002) and External audit quality and banking supervision (2008). The Committee expects to publish a consultative version of its external audit guidance in 2012.
You Might Also Like...
- The Bumpy Road to Brexit
- ISDA Launches FRTB Data Standards Project
- Project Sentinel completes MiFID II Technology Specification
- Brexit and OTC Clearing – A Look at the Possible Impact
- Tullett Prebon’s tpMESSENGER service selects CME Pivot Instant Messaging Platform to support open communication
- CloudMargin Announce Further Senior Appointments and Opens North American Office
- Xenomorph Receives Funding from HSBC to Accelerate Growth
- Northern Trust to leverage GlobalCollateral Ltd's MarginSettlement Messaging Service